“FOREST OF DEAN CLASSIC” AND “MONMOUTHSHIRE CHALLENGE”
2Day Event - Sunday 3rd and Monday 4th May 2015
FOREST OF DEAN IS BACK
Welcome to one of the oldest established sportives on the UK calendar.
Now in its 11th year the ever evolving Forest of Dean Classic road sportive has gone 2 –DAY with a new route on Sunday, The Monmouthshire Challenge, over roads mostly within the county and offering a good testing ride following some of the British Road race Championship route of 2014 where possible. This is an ideal warm up for the Forest of Dean Classic route on the Monday with over 9000ft 0f climbing over 18 listed climbs all in 90 miles, still presents one of the hardest rides on the UK calendar.
A brand new Registration, start and finish on Vauxhall Fields in Monmouth Town offers FREE PARKING right next to the registration marquee, FREE CAMPING for those doing both days all at 2013 prices.
MONMOUTHSHIRE CHALLENGE £15,
FOREST OF DEAN CLASSIC £35 or ride BOTH for only £45.
All at 2013 prices
GPX / Mapping
Will open on Saturday at 2pm to 6pm and again on Sunday at 8am to 9.30am, Monday will be 7am to 9am, when you can sign on to collect your timing chip for either ride. HQ MCC VAUXHALL FIELDS, WATERY LANE, MONMOUTH, NP25 5BA
- Follow the event signs via Watery Lane to the car parking (map to follow)
- FREE tea and coffee is backed up with PORRIDGE on the Forest of Dean Classic ride.
- FREE CAMPING just email email@example.com to register
- A free pasta party will be held on the Sunday night for those staying over for the Forest of Dean Classic day. Monmouth town centre is 5 minutes’ walk from registration and offers many restaurants and pubs to help ease the night away.
- The event still offers a fully safety signed route, mechanical support at the start and out on the route courtesy of SHIMANO, medic bike, and broom wagon. On your return there will be a small replenishing snack and a finishers certificate recording your Standards time.
- Fully timed routes
- Forest of Dean Classic ride offers 2 routes; long 91 miles and the short route being just over 61miles.
- There are feeds on route on both days with 1 on the Monmouthshire Challenge on Sunday and 2 on the Forest of Dean Classic long route (one on the short route) offering plentiful snacks and Clifbar products to help you through the ride.
- We are unfortunately restricted to 500 entrants on the Forest of Dean Classic event so it will be first come first served. Priority to those who ride both days.
The Forest of Dean Classic sportive was conceived over 12 years ago in a cafe in Pau after an Etape du Tour when many Brits had been bused to the finish as the event was so hard and different from any UK events. The Forest of Dean was designed as training for the big European events such as the Etape with as much climbing as possible and a good overall distance. The event was first run in 2005 which at the time was one of only 18 sportives in the UK!
We now limit the event to 500 riders to offer a better experience and changed the format this year to a two day with a 100km warm up ride the day before the classic event.